Genealogy by Martha

Cross - Love - Culpepper - Herron - Mordecai - Shelby - Cobb

Dr. George Glascock

Male 1743 - 1787  (43 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name George Glascock 
    Prefix Dr. 
    Born 20 Dec 1743  Richmond Co., NC Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died 18 Oct 1787  Cross Hill in Moore Co., NC Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried Aft 18 Oct 1787  Muse Cemetery, Cross Hill, Carthage, Moore Co., NC Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I104  MyTree
    Last Modified 20 Dec 2020 

    Father William Glascock, I,   b. Abt 1704, Richmond Co., VA Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 5 Feb 1784, Richmond Co., VA Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 80 years) 
    Mother Esther Ball,   b. Abt 1712, Richmond Co., VA Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Abt 1779, Indian Banks, Farnham, Richmond Co., VA Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 67 years) 
    Married 10 Apr 1728  Lancaster Co., VA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F4652  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Martha Howard,   b. 31 Jan 1740,   d. 25 Apr 1826, Cross Hill, Moore Co., NC Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 86 years) 
    Married Bef 1770  Probably Richmond Co., VA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    +1. John Milton Glascock, Sr.,   b. Between 1762 and 1765, Richmond Co, VA Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Aft 7 Aug 1832, Bibb Co., (Chilton Co.) AL Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 70 years)
     2. Julius Glascock,   b. Abt 1770, Richmond Co., VA Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Carthage, Moore Co.., NC Find all individuals with events at this location
     3. Patsy Glascock,   b. Aft 1770, Richmond Co., VA Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     4. George Glascock, Jr.,   b. Abt 1771, Richmond Co., VA Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
    +5. Martram Glascock,   b. Abt 1772, Richmond Co., VA Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     6. Elizabeth Glascock,   b. 13 Feb 1785, Carthage, Moore Co., NC Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 18 Dec 1864, Carthage, Moore Co., NC Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 79 years)
    +7. Mary Glascock,   b. 1787, Carthage, Moore Co., NC Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1864, Carthage, Moore Co., NC Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 77 years)
    Last Modified 17 Jul 2017 
    Family ID F4649  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • From the DAR Archives:
      GLASCOCK, George
      Birth: VA 20 Dec 1743
      Service: NC
      Rank: Dr PS
      Death: NC 8- -1787
      Patriot Pensioned: No Widow Pensioned: No
      Children Pensioned: No Heirs Pensioned: No
      Spouse: Martha Howard

      Dr. George Glascock was born 12-20-1743 in VA. Source:
      Records of Farnham Parish, VA. "Virginia Magazine of History and
      Biography", Vol 7, page 55, which contains extracts from Register of
      Farnham Parish 'Birth of George, son of William and Ester Glascock, 20
      Dec 1743 and other data which shows the date of death as 18 Oct 1787.

      The court minutes of the first session, on the second day show Philip
      Alston was unanimously elected clerk of the court and he entered into
      bond with John Robenson and Charles Crafford as security. Alston
      appointed George Glascock as his deputy, which the court accepted.
      This was the first record of George Glascock in Moore Co., NC.
      George Glascock had lived a number of years on Deep River near
      Ramsey's Mill in Chatham Co. and had served as deputy clerk of court
      in Chatham Co. Probably because of this previous experience, he was
      chosen to act in the same capacity in the Moore Co. court.
      Sometime prior to November 1773, George Glascock moved with his family
      to Chatham Co., NC from Richmond Co., VA.
      On 24 Nov 1773, George Glascock's father, William Glascock of Richmond
      Co., deeded a slave and household furnishings to Milton Glascock.
      (Source: Marilyn Poe Laird & Vivian Poe Jackson, Chatham County, North
      Carolina Deeds 1771-1782. [n.1: Poe Publications, n.d.] Vol 1, pg.17)
      Three months after the above deed, on 1 Mar 1784, George Glascock sold
      what appears to be the items deeded to his son, along with other
      items, to Ambrose Ramsey.

      George Glascock was still living in Chatham Co. on 12 Feb 1784, when
      the Chatham court records show: "James Howard appointed overseer of
      the Road from Red Field Ford to the ford on the Road where Geo.
      Glascock now lives".
      (Source: Laird, Chatham County Court Minutes, Vol 2, pg. 50)
      On 18 Feb 1785, the Chatham County Court Minutes show: "William Clark
      to work road no further than from south bank of the Islalnd foard to
      the fork of the Road where Mr. Glascock lived". (Source: Laird,
      Chatham County Court Minutes, Vol 3, pg. 4)
      On 22 Feb 1785, George Glascock, John Carrell and John Cox were
      qualified as justices of the peace for the Moore Co. Court. (Source:
      Moore Co. Court Minutes, Vol 1, pg. 6).
      The later record establishes George Glascock as a resident of Moore
      Co., NC.

      George Glascock later purchased 300 acres of land from James Muse of
      Killet Creek, as recorded in Moore County Court Minutes Vol 1, pg. 41.

      George Glascock is buried in the Old Muse Cemetery at Cross Hill in
      Carthage, NC, next to his wife, Patty, and K. (Katherine), the wife
      of their son, Julius Glascock . There is a large DAR Memorial for him
      on his gravesite. He probably lived out his life there at Cross Hill
      in Carthage as did his widow until her death.

      There is a record of a claim that he filed with the state for medicine
      that he had furnished which states: "Comptrollers Office Kinston -
      The United States of America to the State of North Carolina for
      sundries allowed by a Committee of Claims in April 1777 as per Record:
      ... To Doctor George Glascock for medicine ... 1 pound, 1 shilling and
      6 pence..." (Source: North Carolina Revolutionary Army Accounts, Vol
      XI, pg. 14, folio 4, S.115.57, NC Archives)

      A surgeon, on the American Army Medical Staff, at the battle of
      Guilford Court House in N. C., between The British General Charles
      Cornwallis and Colonialist General Greene. After the battle
      Cornwallis, on his way to Wilmington, bivouacked his army in the
      doctor's "Glasscock's Field". March 15, 1781 (Greensboro Co.?) Page

      In 1784, Dr. George moved to Cross Hill, near Carthage in Moore Co. where he was
      deputy to Col. Philip Alston, the wealthy Clerk of the Court. Became JP in 1785 and Clerk Court of Pleas & Quarter Session in 1786 (Alston resigned).
      The Colonial & State Records of N.C. Vol 28 Index F-L page 109,
      Glascock, Geo., Vol 18 page 32 Moore Co., gave deposition against Mr.
      Phillip Alston for murder and not believing in God.

      On night of 18 Oct, 1787 Dr. George Glasscock, was murdered apparently
      by Alston's slave, Dave. Alston, then member of the Gen. Assembly, was
      arrested. charged with being an accessory to the murder and taken to
      Wilmington jail, from which he escaped. (Apparently differences had
      arisen between the two men, aggravated by Glascock's evidence against
      Alston.) Alston lost his seat in the Assembly because of the incident.
      (Jack Glasscock, March 2004)

      From Miscellaneous Ancient Records of Moore County, N.C. by Rassie E.
      Wicker pgs. 363-364:
      "For many years a story current in the county,
      especially around Carthage, told of the presence of Cornwallis in the
      county, and of his horse having bitten the top out of a mulberry tath
      stood until recent years at the old so-called 'Cornwallis ' house just
      west of the Cross Hill (Carthage) Cemetery. It was said also, that
      after hs departure, someone found his comb which remained for a time
      in the family of George Glascock and the Muses.
      Both Lighthorse Harry Lee and Tarleton's account of Cornwallis's
      passage through this region, from Ramsey's Mill, on Deep River to
      Cross Creek, agree that his route lay along Shepherd's road, which led
      from Ramsey's, via Swan's Station to Fayetteville, and that his
      movement was rapid, in which case he came no nearer Carthage than
      Swan's station.
      Some year's ago the writer, quite by accident, found in the Chatham
      County records, the explanation of this patently mistaken tale. George
      Glascock, whom the General was supposed to have been visiting at
      Carthage, was, according to the Carthage records, was living in the
      forks of Deep and Raw Rivers during the Revolution. He does not
      appear in the Moore or Cumberland records before the formation of
      Moore County in 1784.
      At a celebration of the Centennial of the signing of the Declaration
      of Independence, held at Pittsborough, on July 4, 1876, the late
      Henry Armand London, in an address delivered on that occasion, stated
      that when Cornwallis arrived at Ramsey's Mill following the battle of
      Guilford Court House, he made his headquarters in 'the Old Hotel',
      while his troops bivouacked 'in the Glascock old field nearby'.
      The solution is obvious-granting the story of the mulberry and the
      comb to be true, it is very evident that the incident took place in
      the forks of Deep and Haw River, upon the Glascock Plantation, and
      that the story itself was brought to Moore when Glascock removed to
      Moore County, and through error, was applied to that region.
      Incidentally, the land upon which the Cornwallis house (so-called)
      stood, was granted to the heirs of George Glascock, Sr., in 1794, long
      after the death of Glascock. His son, George Glascock, Jr., who
      married Patsy Dickerson, may have lived there, but he states in a
      certain grant, that his home was on Rocky Branch, a small stream on
      the west of the old River Road, between that road and McClendon's
      Creek, which runs into Cox's Mill Creek (now called Mill Swamp). After
      his death, this land was divided among his heirs. This division is on
      record at Carthage.
      The 'old hotel', first mentioned above, stood until comparatively
      recent years. The late Mr. Reinicke and Mr. A. B. Bailey jointly
      purchased this old building and removed the fine paneling for use in
      houses they were constructing in Southern Pines and some of the old
      plantation houses in coastal South Carolina. The writer has a small
      table, the leaf of which is made of this material given him by Mr.
      It is pretty certain that George Glascock, Sr. lived on the west side
      of Killet's Creek, between Cabo and the Quarry Branch on land he
      purchased in May, 1786, from James Muse. There is strong tradition
      that he, his wife and his son Julius are buried on this plantation,
      though his monument, placed there in recent years, at least suggest
      that he is buried in the old Muse Cemetery, just west of the Cross
      Hill Cemetery, and near the so-called Cornwallis house.

      From Miscellaneous Ancient Records of Moore County, N.C. by Rassie E.
      Wicker pg. 451:
      "Proclamation by Governor Telfair:

      GEORGIA: By His Excellency Edward Telfair
      Governor and Commander-in-Chief
      In and Over the State aforesaid.

      Whereas information has been received that early in the morning of the
      28th inst., Philip Alston of the county of Washington was, at his
      place of residence 'killed by a gun that was fired through the house
      as he lay in bed' by person unknown. I HAVER THEREFORE thought fit to
      issue this, my proclamation offering a reward of fifty pounds to be
      provided out of the contingencies of the current year to be paid (on
      condition) to such person or persons as may apprehend and secure the
      By His Excellency's Command Given under my hand and the Great Seal
      at said State House in Augusta this John Miron thirty-first day of October, in the
      year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and ninety-one and in the
      sixteenth Year of the Independence of the United States of America.
      Philip Alston led a colorful and controversial life. During the
      American Revolution, in addition to the skirmish which took place at
      his home, he was also captured at Briar Creek, Georgia. After being
      released he kept his militia activities local.
      Alston was the son of Joseph John Alston and Elizabeth Chancy Alston
      of Halifax County. His father was an extremely wealthy man who left an
      estate consisting of more than one hundred and fifty slaves and over
      one thousand acres of land at his death. From all this Alston was
      given by his father only those slaves already in his possession. This
      fact is often described as being "curious" or "significant" by many
      writers. However, Alston married well. His wife, Temperance Smith also
      from Halifax, received a large tract of land on the Roanoke River
      which increased Philip's holdings.
      By the time he came to the Cumberland-Moore County area Philip Alston
      was clearly a man of means and influence. In 1772 he purchased four
      thousand acres north and south of the bend in Deep River. Soon
      afterward he built the magnificent house which still stands on its
      original site. Alston's house was one of the finest in this part of
      the state. It is believed that a Scotsman named McFadden built the
      house under the employ of Alston. At this time Alston also owned
      several slaves. By 1777 his land holdings incorporated 6,936 acres.
      Philip Alston quickly established himself as a political leader for
      this area.
      Much has been written to describe Alston's character. These were
      reckless times in the North Carolina backcountry and Philip Alston
      certainly handled himself well. Suffice it to say that Alston was a
      very bold and aggressive man. For example, he got himself promoted
      from lieutenant colonel in the Cumberland Militia to full colonel by
      petitioning the General Assembly. After the war, Alston was one of the
      first justices at the Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions and also
      became clerk of court for Moore County. Later he would become a member
      of the State Senate. Alston's political success is evidence that he
      had some support from leaders in this area.
      It was during his tenure in the Senate that Alston's problems began.
      Evidence was presented that he had murdered Thomas Taylor during the
      war while commanding a corps of militia to suppress the tories. It was
      eventually found that Taylor's death was a legitimate act of war and
      Alston was pardoned by Governor Caswell. However, considerable debate
      and controversy swirled around this decision.
      A bitter feud with George Glascock came next. Glascock had replaced
      Alston as clerk of court when Alston was elected to the Senate.
      Following his reelection to the General Assembly Alston's seat was
      contested by George Glascock; Henry Lightfoot, the county solicitor;
      and John Cox, a member of the House of Commons from Moore County. They
      reminded the Senate that Alston had been indicted for murder and
      George Glascock presented a statement that Alston had threatened to
      raise a riot if Henry Lightfoot got elected instead of him. It was
      also pointed out that Alston did not believe in God. The plot was
      successful, Alston was removed from the Senate and Moore County was
      told to elect a new senator.
      Philip Alston became a justice of the peace, but in May 1787, Glascock
      succeeded in getting him removed from this seat as well. George
      Glascock's personal victories over his rival Philip Alston would cost
      him his life. He was murdered three months later by "Dave," one of
      Alston's slaves. It was stated that Alston gave a party at his home
      the night of the murder and was careful to establish his presence at
      all times. Dave was bailed from jail by Alston but fled the state
      before trial costing Alston two hundred and fifty pounds. In May of
      the next year Alston was fined twenty five pounds for contempt of
      court in Moore County. He was released on bond from the Wilmington
      Jail but soon returned. In December 1790 he escaped from the
      Wilmington Jail and left North Carolina a fugitive from justice.
      Alston went to Georgia where he was murdered in 1791. Someone shot him
      through a window as he lay in bed. Legend has it that it was Dave who
      murdered him. Soon after, the Alston family sold the house and
      property and left North Carolina.

      "Dr. George W. Glascock, grew up as one of the eleven children raised
      at 'Indian Banks' before the Revolution. He was a surgeon during the
      war and served on the American Army Medical Staff at the Battle of
      Guilford Courthouse in N.C. in 1781, between Generals Cornwallis and
      Greene. After the battle, on his way to Wilmington Cornwallis
      bivouaced his army in 'Glascock's Field'. Glascock then moved to
      Cross Hill, near Carthage in Moore Co., N.C., where he became deputy
      to Col. Philip Alston, the Clerk of the Court. Alston was very
      wealthy and from a powerful family in the south. On February 23,
      1785, Alston resigned his clerkship and was succeeded by his 16 year
      old son James. Then on May 17, 1786, young Alston resigned the office
      and Dr. Glascock was appointed to take his place. On the following
      day, apparently Glascock's first official action was to 'commit the
      said Alston to Wilmington jail' and Alston then 'moved the court to
      know whether George Glascock
      was a Justice of the Peace' when he did so. (Glascock was Justice of
      the Peace in 1785 and Clerk of the Court in 1786.)
      The records do not divulge the nature of the issue between the two
      men, but on Oct. 18, 1787, Dr. Glascock was murdered in his home by
      Alston's slave, Dave, who had been promised his freedom for the
      murder. Alston, then a member of the General Assembly, was arrested
      and prosecuted for the murder and taken to Wilmington jail, from which
      he later escaped. Apparently Alston was later killed in Georgia by
      the fugitive slave.
      The events surrounding Glascock's death have been clothed in a certain
      amount of mystery, but the evidence points to the fact that Alston
      ordered his slave, Dave, to commit the crime. According to Moore Co.
      tradition, Alston, to establish an alibi, invited the country-side to
      his 'House in the Horseshoe' for a dance and took care to establish
      his presence there at all times. It is a matter of record that Dave
      was seized and imprisoned for the murder, and then let out on bond,
      which Alston forfeited when Dave did not appear. Alston was later in
      Wilmington jail for the murder, was released on bond, and later
      returned to the jail."
      (Taken from "The Glascocks of England and America" by Lawrence A.
      Glassco, 1984.)