Genealogy by Martha

Cross - Love - Culpepper - Herron - Mordecai - Shelby - Cobb

Thomas A. Shelby

Male Abt 1819 - 1862  (~ 43 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Thomas A. Shelby 
    Born Abt 1819  Mecklenburg Co., NC Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died 26 Jun 1862  Dallas Co, AL Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I713  MyTree
    Last Modified 21 Jan 2015 

    Father Moses Shelby,   b. Abt 1775, Mecklenburg Co., NC Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Abt 1826, Mecklenburg Co., N.C. Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 51 years) 
    Mother Mary Ann Knox,   b. 28 May 1785, Mecklenburg Co, NC Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 27 May 1855, Selma, Dallas County, AL Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 69 years) 
    Married Abt 1803  2nd Philadelphia Presbyterian Church, Mecklenburg Co, NC Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F2760  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Mary Ann Morrow,   b. 25 May 1825, Dallas Co, AL Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 28 Dec 1908, Dallas Co, AL Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 83 years) 
    Married Abt 1850  Selma, Dallas Co, AL Find all individuals with events at this location 
     1. Margaret Ann Shelby,   b. 12 Jan 1851,   d. 15 May 1928, Dallas Co, AL Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 77 years)
     2. W. A. Shelby,   b. Abt 1858, Dallas Co, AL Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
    Last Modified 17 Jul 2017 
    Family ID F3979  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 

    • 1860 United States Federal Census
      Name: Thos A Shelby
      Age in 1860: 40
      Birth Year: abt 1820
      Birthplace: North Carolina
      Home in 1860: Dublin, Perry, Alabama
      Gender: Male
      Post Office: Chestnut Hill
      Household Members:
      Name Age
      Thos A Shelby 40
      Mary E Shelby 34 (Mary Ann Morrison Shelby)
      Mary A Shelby 8 (b. 1852)
      W A Shelby 2 (b. 1858)
      William Shelby 19 (b. 1841)
      Mary Cranford 60

      Thomas A. Shelby was born about 1820 in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina and died 26 Jun 1862 in Dallas Co., Alabama. He married Mary Ann Morrow in 1850 in Dallas County, Alabama. She was born 25 May 1825 in Dallas County, Alabama, and died 28 Dec 1908 in Selma, Alabama. Thomas was a member of the Alabama 28th Infantry Company I during the Civil War and died in that service. Thomas and Mary Ann Shelby had two children, Margaret Ann and W.A.

      U.S. Civil War Soldiers, 1861-1865
      Name: Thomas A. Shelby
      Side: Confederate
      Regiment State/Origin: Alabama
      Regiment Name: 28 Alabama Infantry
      Regiment Name Expanded: 28th Regiment, Alabama Infantry
      Company: I
      Rank In: Private
      Rank In Expanded: Private
      Rank Out: Private
      Rank Out Expanded: Private
      Film Number: M374 roll 40

      U.S. Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles
      Name: Thomas A Shelby
      Residence: Summerfield, Alabama
      Enlistment Date: 26 Mar 1862
      Rank at enlistment: Private
      Enlistment Place: Summerfield, Dallas County, AL
      State Served: Alabama
      Survived the War?: No
      Service Record: Enlisted in Company I, Alabama 28th Infantry Regiment on 26 Mar 1862.
      Mustered out on 25 May 1862 at Macon, MS.
      Sources: Index to Compiled Confederate Military Service Records
      Those Gallant Men of 28th Alabama

      American Civil War Soldiers
      Name: Thomas Shelby
      Residence: Summerfield, Alabama
      Enlistment Date: 26 Mar 1862
      Enlistment Place: Summerfield, Dallas County, Alabama
      Side Served: Confederacy
      State Served: Alabama
      Service Record: Enlisted as a Private on 26 March 1862.
      Enlisted in Company I, 28th Infantry Regiment Alabama on 26 Mar 1862.
      Died of disease Company I, 28th Infantry Regiment Alabama on 25 May 1862 at Macon, MS.
      Sources: 425,608

      28th Alabama Infantry Regiment
      [Information on this page supplied by E. D. Wilson, Houston, TX.]
      The 28th Alabama Infantry Regiment was organized March 29, 1862 at Shelby Springs (located about half way between Calera and Columbiana) to serve for three years or the duration of the war. The recruits were to report to Shelby Springs, the site of a large Confederate military training camp known as Camp Winn, on 13 March; they remained there until 18 April 1862. The Regiment consisted of companies from Blount, Dallas, Jefferson, Marshall, Perry, and Walker counties.

      The Regiment was organized too late to participate in the Battle of Shiloh, but they did join Gen'l Pierre G. T. Beauregard's command at Corinth, Mississippi, following the battle, arriving there between 22 and 25 April, having marched through Selma to Mobile where they took a 5-day rail trip on the Mobile & Ohio Railroad. They were brigaded under Gen'l James Trapier at first, then under Gen'l Johnson Duncan. While at Corinth, many of the men fell victim to camp diseases. They were at Corinth until 24 May when they withdrew to Baldwin, then to Saltillo, then to Tupelo.

      In June 1862, the Regiment was brigaded under Col. Arthur Middleton Manigault along with the 10th and 19th South Carolina and the 34th and 24th Alabama. Manigault's Brigade was assigned to Gen'l Braxton Bragg and his Army of Mississippi; the Brigade followed him to Chattanooga and subsequently throughout the Kentucky campaign of 1862.

      The 28th stayed in Tupelo, MS, until 13 July when they moved to Smith's Cross Roads. On the 23rd, they began a rail movement to Chattanooga. They boarded trains of the Mobile & Ohio once more, to Mobile, then took a steamboat to Tensaw Station (north of Mobile on the Tensaw River). They boarded trains again to Montgomery, La Grange, and Atlanta before arriving at Chickamauga on the 10th of August. They then marched to Tyner's Station (west of Chattanooga) to await a wagon train. On the 22nd, they crossed the Tennessee River, 8 miles from Tyner's Station. After a week's rest, the regiment started on a march through Tennessee, passing through Smith's Crossroads, across Walton's Ridge (14 miles) to Pikeville, over the Cumberland Mountains (21 miles), through Gainsboro, Sparta to the Kentucky boarder where they marched into Thompkinsville and Glasgow to the railroad (Louisville & Nashville?). It was a 15-day and night march. In Kentucky, the 28th Alabama marched toward Munfordville, arriving there on 16 September to attack the Union fort. It surrendered the next day and the regiment earned praise from its commander. Col. John W. Frazier who stated in his official report that "it gratifies the commanding officer to be able to say that the men and officers were calm, cool, and cheerful during the entire day and obeyed every command with great alacrity and promptness."

      The regiment then marched to Bardstown, stayed for two weeks, then moved to Harrodsburg, Perryville, and Lawrenceburg, then back to Harrodsburg. They went toward the Cumberland Gap via Lancaster, Crab Orchard, London, and Barboursville, crossing the mountains on 22 October 1862. They arrived to within ten miles of Knoxville on the 24th and remained there until the 31st. They boarded the East Tennessee & Georgia Railroad to Chattanooga, went on to Bridgeport, AL, on the Tennessee River on 1 November, crossed the river in a steamboat and camped for three days. From its camp, the 28th marched to Tullahoma, TN (110 miles) and rested a week before proceeding to Murfreesboro where they went into Winter Quarters on 22 November 1862. However, fighting began there (Murfreesboro, or Stone's River) on the morning of 31 December. The 28th fought with the 24th and 34th Alabama, and these three regiments led the first and second charges in the battle. The 28th lost 17 killed and 88 wounded while serving as a part of Gen'l Jones Withers' Division. Col. Manigault stated in his official report following the battle, "the Alabama regiments partook in all attacks . . . and I again take this opportunity of bearing testimony to the heroic courage and fortitude displayed by them on that bloody field".

      Following the stalemate at Murfreesboro, General Bragg moved his Army of Tennessee [the Army of Mississippi had ceased to exist on 20 Nov 1862 when it merged with the Army of Kentucky. Bragg became the first commander of the new Confederate Army of Tennessee] south to its winter quarters near Tullahoma, Tennessee, and then to Shelbyville. The regiment settled in for winter quarters and remained there until 27 June 1863.

      In the following spring, Union Gen'l William S. Rosecrans, commanding the Army of the Cumberland, began a series of rapid flanking movements which dislodged Bragg's Confederates. The 28th left Shelbyville on thd 27th of June 1863 and reached Tullahoma on the 28th where they stayed until 1 July. Then they moved on to Chattanooga, a vital rail and river port city, arriving the 7th and camping a mile below town until 20 August.

      Rosecrans' movements forced the evacuation of Chattanooga. Bragg moved his forces south to Lafayette, Georgia, and began calculating a counter move against Rosecrans. The 28th Alabama moved across Lookout Mountain (31 August) to the Lower Chickamauga Creek, about 19 miles distant. Then on 1 September, they moved to McFairlands' Springs, about 10 miles. On the 8th, they marched to Chickamauga Creek, 19 miles, and on the 10th, marched 9 miles to McLemore's Cove. Bragg saw his opportunity open at Crawfish Springs, GA, along the banks of Chickamauga Creek. He realized that Rosecrans had split his Union forces into three groups. Bragg attacked, hoping he could pick these groups off piecemeal, but Rosecrans recognized the threat and was able to reunite his Army before the full effect of the attack could be made.

      Bragg wasted no time in beginning the fight and the two armies battered each other to no avail on September 19, 1863. The Union and Confederate soldiers had fought to a standstill, but on the morning of the 20th, a gap was found in the Union line near the Brotherton house, and thousands of Confederates, including the 28th Alabama, poured through. Rosecran's Army of the Cumberland was put in rout. A solid counterattack by Gen'l John Thomas Wilder's "Lightning Brigade," armed with Spencer repeating rifles, slammed into the flank of Manigault's Brigade and the 28th Alabama. The Confederates were stunned from the awesome firepower of Wilder's Brigade and were forced to retreat almost a mile.

      After the Confederate victory at Chickamauga, Rosecrans retreated to Chattanooga. The Army of Tennessee followed, and Bragg ordered the city to be placed under siege. He positioned his Confederates around the city, effectively boxing in the Union forces.

      The Federal troops in Chattanooga endured the siege for two months. Union Gen'ls U. S. Grant and William T. Sherman made their way into Chattanooga in October. Grant immediately assumed command of the Union forces and gave top priority to lifting the siege and establishing a supply line to feed and rearm his soldiers.

      Grant plotted a course of action against Bragg where on 24 November, Grant ordered Gen'l "Fighting Joe" Hooker to attack the western flank of Lookout Mountain overlooking Chattanooga. Hooker did so successfully, and Bragg was compelled to establish his main line of defense on Missionary Ridge on the east side of Chattanooga. The following day, 25 November, Grant's soldiers stormed Missionary Ridge and broke through the Confederate lines, forcing them to retreat into north Georgia.

      The 28th Alabama, in Manigault's Brigade and assigned to Gen'l Patton Anderson's Division, fought superbly. Although the Union breakthrough did take place through Anderson's sector, Manigault's men held firm. The 28th lost 172 killed, wounded, or captured in the battle.

      After his defeat at Chattanooga, Bragg withdrew his forces toward Dalton, Georgia and established winter camp. Gen'l Joseph E. Johnston was assigned to replace Bragg, and Johnston surmised that the Union forces were planning to strike at Atlanta.

      In the spring of 1864, Union Gen'l Sherman began his thrust toward Atlanta. Johnston slowed the Union advance at Buzzard's Roost, Resaca, Cassville, and Kennesaw Mountain. In the battle at Ezra Church, west of Atlanta, the 28th lost four killed and 24 wounded. The Alabamians participated courageously in all of these actions while sustaining heavy losses. During the time the 28th was a part of Manigault's Brigade, Hindman's Division and Hood's Corps, Lt. Colonel William L. Butler commanded the Regiment.

      After the fall of Atlanta, the 28th followed Gen'l John Bell Hood into Tennessee and participated in the tragic Franklin and Nashville campaigns. During the Battle of Franklin, in which Hood's Army of Tennessee was almost annihilated, the 28th lost its brigade commander, Gen'll Manigault, to a serious wound. During the battle, the regiment participated in the last formal assaults against Union entrenchments.

      Although Hood's Confederates were no longer a viable attacking force, Hood incredibly continued to pursue his goal of taking Nashville. Before the Confederates could launch their attack, Union Gen'l George Thomas ordered an attack which crushed the remnants of Hood's Army. During the battle, the 28th fought on the south side of Nashville, near Redoubt No. 4, before that fortification fell.

      The survivors of the 28th and the Army of Tennessee went home or joined Gen'l Johnston in North Carolina following the 1864 Tennessee Campaign. The 28th, now few in number, was consolidated with the 24th and 34th Alabama and placed under the command of Colonel J. C. Carter of Montgomery. The regiment officially surrendered at Durham Station, Orange County, North Carolina on April 26, 1865.

      Field and staff officers: Col. J. W. Frazer (TN; resigned); John C. Reid; Lt. Cols. John C. Reid (Perry; promoted); W. Lavelle Butler (wounded, Nashville, and captured); Majors: T. W. W. Davies (Coosa; transferred to the navy); W. Lavelle Butler (promoted); and Adjutants Sumter Lee (Perry; resigned); Charles R. Harris (Perry; wounded, Nashville, and captured).

      Captains and counties from which the companies came:

      * Co. "A", Perry County: W. Lavelle Butler (promoted); James H. Graham (wounded, Chickamauga); John F. Wilson (wounded, Franklin)
      * Co. "B", Blount and Marshall Counties: John H. Turpin (wounded, Murfreesboro, and captured); E. R. Kiker (captured, Missionary Ridge)
      * Co "C", Blount County: Maxmillan Tidmore (resigned); John Couch.
      * Co "D", Jefferson County: William H. Nabors.
      * Co "E", Walker County: H. A. M. Henderson (resigned); Hugh G. Loller (KIA, Resaca)
      * Co "F", Walker County: Franklin A. Gamble (resigned); L. E. Gilbert.
      * Co. "G", Jefferson County: Miller (resigned); John C. Morrow (resigned); G. W. Hewitt (wounded, Murfreesboro, Chickamauga)
      * Co. "H", Jefferson County: J. F. Tarrant (resigned); W. M. Hawkins (KIA, Murfreesboro); William. R. McAdory (KIA, Missionary Ridge); William. A. McLeod (KIA, Atlanta)
      * Co. "I", Dallas County: F. M. Hopkins (captured, Missionary Ridge); Lt. P. G. Wood
      * Co. "K", Perry County: Charles R. Harris (resigned); Homer M. Ford.
      * Co. "L", Walker County: F. A. Musgrove (wounded, Murfreesboro)